Country Roads of Switzerland (2013)
Tour Type: Country Roads Tour
Brochure Type: Europe & Britain 2013/14
Read reviews >>
An intimate journey of discovery along vine clad shores, through fortified towns and flower filled meadows amidst stunning Alpine panoramas.
Tour Pace - Comfortable: Well paced tour with three nights in Montreux, two-night stays in most of the other cities and no excessively long driving days. There is also the added bonus of travelling on the Glacier Express train to admire the scenery from a completely different perspective, with yet more wonderful photo opportunities.
PREMIUM EXPERIENCES AND DINING
- Embark on a cog-wheel rail journey to the summit of Pilatus offering spectacular panoramic views.
- Visit Chillon Castle, beautifully set on Lake Geneva, home to the Counts of Savoy and immortalised by Byron.
- Cruise the serene waters of Lake Geneva, the King of Lakes, inspiration to the early ‘Romantic’ movement.
- If you think that there’s no such thing as a free ride, you’re wrong! With your inclusive pass, travel on 13 cable cars, funiculars and chairlifts and some public transport. The crisp Alpine air is included in the deal.
- Travel on the world-famous Glacier Express for a glorious journey through the scenic heart of the Swiss Alps.
- Experience Swiss life throughout the ages at the Ballenberg open-air museum. Explore the kitchens, bedrooms and parlours of houses and farm buildings from the 14th to 19th centuries, watch craftsmen at work and witness ancient customs.
- You are offered a selection of Zermatt’s restaurants to choose from on your Dine-Around evening.
- Taste sensations await at your Celebration Dinner! Raise your glasses at one of Zurich’s prized restaurants for a triumphant finalé to your tour.
ADDITIONAL INCLUDED HIGHLIGHTS
- Lucerne: See the emotive Lion Monument, Jesuit Church and Chapel Bridge.
- Berne: See the clock tower, bear pits, Federal Palace and cathedral.
- Murten: Visit the walled town and inner court of the castle.
- Vaud Alps: Swiss countryside excursion to Gruyéres and Gstaad.
- Geneva: See the sights including the Jet d’Eau and Floral Clock.
- Martigny: View the Roman Amphitheatre.
- Sion: See the two fortress-churches, Cathedral and Town Hall.
- Zermatt: See the Matterhorn (weather permitting).
- Bellinzona: See the three castles.
- Interlaken: Grindelwald Valley and Lauterbrunnen excursion.
- Zurich: See the Fraumünster and elegant Bahnhofstrasse.
- Scenic Drives: Italian Lakes, Broye Valley, Simplon, San Bernardino, Julier, Schöllenen Gorge, Brunig and Susten Passes.
PREMIUM HOTELS AND LOCATIONS
- There is a great selection of modern and traditional hotels which reflect the local styles of the Swiss regions. The traditional style of accommodation in Zermatt contrasts with the more sedate resort hotels of Interlaken and Lugano.
INCLUDED QUALITY DINING
- A Welcome Reception with light informal meal (WR)
- 13 Buffet Breakfasts (BB), 1 Dine-Around (DA), 1 Celebration Dinner (CD) and 2 three-course table d’hôte Dinners, or Buffets, plus tea or coffee (D)
INCLUDED FIRST CLASS SERVICES
- Escorted by a professional Tour Director
- Headsets for all guided visits and walking tours
- Enjoy the unique comfort of Insight’s luxury air-conditioned 40 seat coach with extended leg room and on-board restroom
- Insight Hotels include all service charges, taxes and porterage
- Airport transfers at scheduled times on Day 2 and Day 15 (Should your flights not coincide with these transfers, please make your own way to/from the airport)
*Tour prices and dates are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking. All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking. For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Booking Conditions page.