Irish Soda Bread
Every Premium itinerary offers delectable Signature Dining experiences every bit as rich and authentic as the journey itself. Get the taste of Ireland with this fresh, no-fuss soda bread.
- 250g Plain white flour
- 250g Plain wholemeal flour
- 100g Porridge oats
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 25g Butter, cut in pieces
- 500ml Buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 200°C/gas 6 and dust a baking sheet with flour.
Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl, then rub in the butter. Pour in the buttermilk and mix it in quickly with a table knife, then bring the dough together very lightly with your fingertips. Now shape it into a flat, round loaf measuring 20cm/8in in diameter.
- Put the loaf on the baking sheet and score a deep cross in the top. (Traditionally, this lets the fairies out, but it also helps the bread to cook through.)
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow when tapped. If it isn’t ready after this time, turn it upside down on the baking sheet and bake for a few minutes more.
- Transfer to a wire rack, cover with a clean tea towel (this keeps the crust nice and soft) and leave to cool. To serve, break into quarters, then break or cut each quarter in half to make 8 wedges or slices – or simply slice across. Eat very fresh.
1 Loaf – 45min to 55min